A public official who speaks honestly

Recently our chief of police was quoted as saying:

“Black Lives Matter, as far as I am concerned, is a radical hate group.   And for that purpose alone, I think the leadership of this country needs to look a little bit harder at that particular group.  The consequences of  what  we saw in Dallas is due to their efforts.”

Many of our local elected officials then wrote a letter to our mayor including this statement:

“That is why we urge you to publicly repudiate the statement, forcefully and unequivocally, and hold Chief Allen accountable for damaging the public trust and bringing disrepute to our community.”

One former city representative was quoted in a Times article thusly:

“I think it was incredibly irresponsible of him.  I have no confidence in him any longer as the chief of police.”

City representative Robinson made more sense than all of the others combined when according to the Times he said:

“All lives matter,” and declined to comment further.

I don’t know

I don’t know anything about the group called Black Lives Matter.

What I do know is that when an individual like chief Allen, who rarely speaks out in public,  makes a statement I start by giving it more credence than anything that anyone in the pack that is calling for his head says.

I would imagine that as chief of police he has access to much more information about the group than we get told by the people who spoon feed information to our local media.

This police chief is an outstanding public servant who goes out of his way to stay out of politics.

Now that you mention it

Moving on from their politically self serving actions, I would like to call attention to their position that public officials should be held responsible for their actions.

I agree.

Several of the bunch that signed the letter have done a lot to damage the public and the public’s trust and have certainly brought disrepute to our community.

I suppose it would be foolish to expect them to step up to the plate and make amends.

And by the way maybe the elected officials who signed the letter should learn something about our city charter.  The police chief reports to the city manager, not to the mayor nor to city council.  Then again maybe they are just trying to manipulate the mayor.

29 Responses to A public official who speaks honestly

1. Imagine says:

“At our best, we practice empathy, imagining ourselves in the lives and circumstances of others. This is the bridge across our nation’s deepest divisions.”

— George W. Bush
    Memorial Service for Dallas Police Officers

2. Chano says:

Most intelligent thing you have ever written thus far. Congrats Brutus.

3. mamboman3 says:

Yes, the Chief reports to the CM. Unfortunately, he is just another part of the somewhat controversial legacy left to us by the former CM who hired him. Her influence goes on and on like that pink bunny with his drum. The Chief’s masters degree in karate and having risen through the ranks ultimately won her favor over several others who had achieved much more in professional law enforcement education.

4. The Wizard says:

An interesting related read, The Danger of the “Black Lives Matter” Movement. https://imprimis.hillsdale.edu/the-danger-of-the-black-lives-matter-movement/

5. BabyApe says:

Ms Ordaz, Beto, Mr. Stout and queen Veronica all need to be held accountable for the h things they have said and done and publicly apologize while WE the voters repudiate them as soon as possible by voting them out of any political office or attempt at office.

6. ManintheMoon says:

For Vero and other elected officials and some of the public. The Police have zero legal obligation to protect any one but victims of crime and witnesses to a crime after that you are on your on.The Supreme Court settled this long ago. The Police being legally obligated to protect you is a myth.

• Deputy Dawg says:

So I guess that whole “To Protect and to Serve” motto stuff is a myth..

• ManintheMoon says:

Deputy Dawg
        The protect part is a myth. The Police has not legal obligation to protect you from the bad guys. In the Supreme Court ruling they said it is the obligation and duty of the citizen to protect themselves not the Police. The obligation and duty of the Police is to investigate crime.
        Deputy Dawg go try and sue the Police for not protecting you from the bad guys and see how fast your suit gets kicked out the court house door and bounce down the court house steps.

• BabyApe says:

That is why my wife, my son, my daughter and I all have concealed carry and go to the range frequently. We know how and WILL protect ourselves and if warranted others near us.

• ManintheMoon says:

Deputy Dawg
        First off we want to see everyone treated equally by government and our justice system. Sad for the justice system it’s not always the case.
        The problem with BLM is Blacks are not being hunted down by police it’s total non-sense.The number of Blacks wrongfully killed by police is extremely small. Then again BLM is trying to carry the false narrative that all Blacks killed by the Police where wrongful killed and those Blacks killed did nothing to provoke a deadly response from the Police and it’s total non-sense.
        Blacks make up a little less than 13% of our population but do 45% of the murders in America from best data out there. There communities have a disproportionate crime rates to their population and the Police are forced to send in a disproportionate amount of officers to deal with the crime.
        Some Black communities in America demanded the Police get out of their communities and what did the get the sky rocketing crime and murder rates.This is not what we say this is what the data shows.Now the same communities are blaming the Police not the gangsters and thugs doing the damage to their communities.This is the stupid train running wide open with the wheels coming off lead by progressive Democrats leadership.
        Police officer are far more likely to be killed by a Black person in America than another race. Once again these numbers are disproportionate to the Black population.
        Let get honest BLM and many of their support openly support the gangster and thug life style and believe that no one should say anything about it and if you do it make you automatically a racist which non-sense.
        We had one BLM member tell us because a Black woman was held for shop lifting she should be let go,they should be allowed to steal and do crimes when ever they want,no one should say anything about because this how they make their living and money in the hood.Had another say they could not wait until all white people were pushing up daises. The hate from BLM and it’s supporters are well documented.
        Even with this we support their right to peaceful protest and free speech but condemn their violence and their call for violence.
        Last Deputy Dawg we can agree on one thing that if the Police wrongfully kill any one that should be charged and receive due process just like you or me and no special treatment.But we must stand up against trail by the mob and the press which BLM by their own statements support.

• Deputy Dawg says:

I suppose if my people had 300 years of abuse as history, which continues to this day, I might have a different point of view.

• Deputy Dawg says:

And so when African-Americans from all walks of life, from different communities across the country, voice a growing despair over what they perceive to be unequal treatment, when study after study shows that whites and people of color experience the criminal justice system differently. So that if you’re black, you’re more likely to be pulled over or searched or arrested; more likely to get longer sentences; more likely to get the death penalty for the same crime. When mothers and fathers raised their kids right, and have the talk about how to respond if stopped by a police officer — yes, sir; no, sir — but still fear that something terrible may happen when their child walks out the door; still fear that kids being stupid and not quite doing things right might end in tragedy.
          When all this takes place, more than 50 years after the passage of the Civil Rights Act, we cannot simply turn away and dismiss those in peaceful protest as troublemakers or paranoid.– President Obama at today’s Dallas Memorial Service

7. Surprised says:

Well color me shocked. I had no idea Allen was a black man. In my opinion he is entitled to state his opinions in the matter. In today’s world you have to know there are going to be consequences for your words. I’ll post a tweet on social media and receive negative feedback from complete strangers from accross the world. It comes with the territory if you really want to speak your mind then be prepared for the backlash that will follow.

8. Judy Maddox says:

The county Judges statement last night was because the chief did not speak out people failed to show for the vigil at UTEP. Is the kind of leadership we want ,one that does not protect the people. PD had no authority at UTEP. That is under the UTEP POLICE DEPT. statements like MS ESCOBAR made cause more divide. Shame on her. We deserve better. I will VOTE but I will not vote for anyone running unopposed.

Sent from my iPhone

I dont suppose anyone in this blog site, including Chief Allen, has ever had their son shot and killed by police simply because they “looked susupicious” or happened to be playing with a toy gun, or were selling cigarettes illegally on a sidewalk. Black Lives Matters is an organization that tries to show that in many places, perhaps not El Paso, institutional racism is rampant in police forces and ends up with dead young men who’se sole crime in many cases was that their skin color was not pale enough.

Yes, I think that a person is allowed their opinion, but Chief Allen may have to deploy officers to protect a BLM protest in El Paso. If he thinks the group is a radical terrorist organization, might that not skew his thinking on how to handle the protesters?

On a final note, I wonder if Mr. Allen, or anyone else here, would be singing the same song if instead of dozens and dozens of black civilian being shot and killed by white police, hundreds of white civilians were killed by black police. Would your “infantile crap” attitude be the same? Would you care about polce racism then?

• Deputy Dawg says:

By the way, we now know that the lone gunman in Dallas had absolutely no affiliation with the Black Lives Matter protest other than he used the protest as a cover to shoot the police.

Liked by 1 person

• Senior says:

I agree with the Chief because BLM allows those who spew hatred among their ranks, carrying signs that advocate killing cops and killing white people. If I participated in a peaceful protest of white people in support of cops but allowed some to carry signs saying “kill black men” I would not only be shut down but would be in fear of my life. We need to stop the hatred on both sides. We need to listen to each other but protests that turn into crime fests and promote killing cops (white cops) is not the way to go about it.
      I am old enough to have participated in the civil rights marches in the South. It was scary but we were peaceful, did not carry hate signs nor did we pillage stores along the way. We made our point without all that. And we have made progress since then — otherwise El Paso would not have a black police chief.
      But today the problem is one more of poverty and family values than of rights. Many blacks are trapped in run-down, violent neighborhoods. We need to find a way to help those who want help out of that trap. And blacks need to concentrate on their values. Boys raised without fathers and who drop out of school have a steeper road to success.

10. Tickedofftaxpayer says:

I support Chief Allen. He did the right thing. And as a Black man he sees both sides of the issue better than any of the folks who signed the letter. I also understand the outrage of our local Democrats. A group designed to be the Dem tool to charge up the base and turn out the Black vote for Hillary has gone rogue and the damage control PR campaign is now in full force. After who could imagine that groups of Black protestors walking down streets chanting What Do We Want? Dead Cops might actually inspire folks to shoot cops. Dallas isn’t the only location where police officers have been attacked. All that said, so far the Dallas Police Chief has had the best response. As a Black kid growing up in the inner city police interest in him and eventually his recruitment into force changed his life. After recounting that, he pointed out the Dallas police force had vacancies and concerned citizens who wanted to be part of the solution were welcome to apply. Changing the system by becoming part of it is always a better solution than fighting it from outside.

11. Jerry K says:

His on-the-mark opinion violated leftist victim orthodoxy.

12. Sandy Doss says:

You know, I have had my fill of all the infantile crap that is pushing all of this so-called racial violence across our country. The chief was asked a question. He responded with the leading caveat “In my opinion…”. Good Lord. The man stated his opinion. Not the opinion of the City of El Paso. Not the opinion of the Dallas Police department. Not the opinion of anyone else. His opinion. Something that, last time I looked, was the right of any person. And the liberal press decided that was the MOST important thing to have been spoken at or after this press conference. Then the flock of sheep that call themselves the ‘leaders’ of our fine city have to get in their sound bites by sending a letter to the mayor denouncing the chief for speaking his mind. In MY opinion, it was this act that made the divisive statements. It was their letter, and undoubtedly the call to the press letting them know about the letter, that showed that the city leaders cannot be united. In anything!

Here is another opinion….MY opinion….The Chief is correct in his assessment of the Black Lives Matter organization. The group may have been formed around the basic concern (unsubstantiated as it is) for the lives of young, African American men who have been shot during an encounter with police. The organizers of the group may believe in their stance against violence. But there are people using the name of the BLM group to justify their protests that demonstrate a very real indifference to and a lack of respect for the law. The man who killed those Dallas police officers may not have been part of BLM, but he certainly took advantage of the opportunity, didn’t he? If there had been no BLM, there would have been no protest, and those 5 officers would most probably be alive today.

Thank you, Chief Allen, for being honest enough and man enough to state your opinion. I, for one, appreciate you.

13. Chico says:

Two groups of people have had a horrific week: black men and police officers. I am a member of neither group. Chief Allen is part of both. I haven’t walked in his shoes and don’t pretend to know how he is personally affected by events in Dallas, Minnesota, and Louisiana. His comments yesterday reflect a sincere effort to comprehend the real threats to civil rights and law enforcement in this country.

There is no logical reason to publicly “repudiate” him this week. If he misspoke, and I’m not convinced that he did, committed community leaders could have addressed the issue in private. El Paso does not benefit from public posturing through press conferences at this time.

I support Chief Allen.

• ManintheMoon says:

Chico
      And not covered by the media two whites and one Hispanic killed in the same time frame by the Police. No progressive left Democrats politicians running before the media on these.

• Sad El Pasoan says:

I agree 100%! I respect Chief Allen’s opinion and appreciate his honesty. Queen Veronica is nothing but a politician.

14. My problem is that I do not understand why the chief had to speak out in the first place. If he is so good about staying out of politics, this is certainly one area where he should not have made a public comment, one way or the other. I don’t know about him being privy to any special inside information, but I do know that he is the chief of police for El Paso, not Dallas. As a cop he should know that it is not his place to judge, and that unless he sees the evidence himself, he has no business condemning someone in another city. As for the reactions from people locally, I feel that the hate being directed at anyone who speaks out against this chief is very upsetting. It looks like the ongoing fear mongering from the far right has been very successful, and the last thing in the world that we need now is for people to be thinking politically (voting) based on fear.