I doubt that I will get my wish but here are some things I would like to see in our next Mayor:
- Understanding the statutes that are in place that control how our city government is allowed to operate and seeing to it that those statutes are obeyed
- A practice of conducting city business in view of the public. The Texas Open Meetings Act allows closed meetings (AKA executive session) for limited reasons, not because city council wants to avoid public input or observation.
- A view toward spending that recognizes we have limited resources, that we have basic needs that are not being fulfilled, and that those needs need to be fulfilled before spending money on things that might be nice but that we cannot afford
- A decent respect to the opinions of the citizens
- The understanding that elected officials are the servants of the citizens, not their bosses
We deserve better