The El Paso Independent School District is currently holding an election seeking to gain voter approval to lower their tax rate for debt service by 3 cents and to increase their rate for maintenance and operation by 3 cents. Early voting has already started.
According to the district this would increase state funding to EPISD by $9 million each year. Our former city chief financial officer is no longer in the district’s picture so I have hope that the number is accurate.
The net effect is an increase in the amount of money that the district receives while not taking any more money from us in property taxes.
The district has published a list of funding priorities that they plan to use the extra money for:
- Instruction and enrichment
- Summer enrichment programs
- Replacing worn out fine arts equipment
- Spending on athletic programs with a focus on middle-schools
- Expansion of science labs and career and technical education
- Pay raises
- 2.5% for teachers
- 3.5% for hourly staff
- School Buses
- One third of their buses are over 20 years old
- Academic technology
- Incorporating technology and electronic devices into daily instruction
- Expansion of library digital media
I would hope that the district would use part of the money to continue making debt payments as though the tax rates had not changed.
If you live in the district please vote.
We deserve better