Sad Times

According to the September 24, 2016 Statement of Ownership, Management, and Circulation published by El Paso Times they distributed 26,190 copies of their August 26, 2016 edition.

The population of the city is somewhere greater than 681,000, with the county coming in above 838,000.

Using the city numbers that means that our only daily newspaper is bought by 3.85% of the population.  Many people in the newspaper industry think that each copy gets read by approximately 2.5 people.  That could mean that a whopping 9.62% of our population reads the Times.

Contrast that with the Albuquerque Journal with daily circulation around 90,000 copies and a population (including Rio Rancho) of about 650,000.

Just how relevant is the Times?

18 Responses to Sad Times

1. Y Que! says:

STOP THE PRESSES!!! According to the EPT breaking news, EL Paso Coffee Emporium has been sold!!!

2. Old Gringo Guy says:

Well, I went to buy a Slimes this morning at work and the price is now $1.50. I will not pay $1.50 for a paper that is 85% advertising and 15% old news, when I can get current news free on the internet.
    Goodbye El Paso Times!

Liked by 1 person

3. Not So Quick says:

Demographics, demographics, demographics.

There are big differences between Albuquerque and El Paso. 50% more people in Albuquerque have college educations and their per capita income is about 40% higher. Household income is higher by double digits. 65% of people 16+ in Albuquerque are in the workforce as compared to 57% here. More than 80% of folks here are Latino versus less than 50% in Albuquerque.

All of those things affect English language newspaper readership and paid subscriptions.

That said, the Times has adapted better than you think. You’re looking at print numbers only. Their website gets more 700,000 unique visitors monthly. Do the math on that as a percentage of the market. That means they are also getting visitors from outside of El Paso. They also get 10,000,000 page views monthly.

They’re doing just fine selling online advertising, which doesn’t require the cost of ink and paper.

4. Benevelous says:

Interesting… The percentage of subscribers to the local paper nearly matches the average number of bird owners in the US population (3.1%).

So, I guess we now know why this number of people get the El Paso Bird Dropping Catcher… Um, I mean… “The El Paso Times”…

But, I see that an additional 0.75% of the population is still getting the paper. Hmmm. I suppose there are still a need for paper mache projects out there…

Not so sad times, Brutus… In the 21st century, we get our news through the internet and television. And those with more than three brain cells to rub together, get their news from multiple and opposing sources so as to “read between the lines” to get in and dig out the truth so artfully hidden deep inside. [Like the old newspaper reference?]

And, as always, you are right… WE DESERVE BETTER!

What is the circulation of El Diario?

• Helen Marshall says:

El Diario has better coverage of both local and international news. It is also available onlline…I suspect that its circulation is limited as I know many people here who grew up speaking Spanish but did not really learn to read it.

Literacy in general may be part of the problem for the Times as well.

• G Man says:

If a person really wants to read either newspaper in a different language, they can read them online using Google’s free translation feature. But that presumes that a person can even read.

6. I read the Times online, just as I do your newsletter. On rare occasions I will read a hardcopy version of the Times but have never read a hardcopy of your newsletter. Does that make you ‘less relevant’ than the Times?

Your post refers to the delivery mechanism when you should compare the content.

We deserve better.

• Apples and oranges! This is a blog, and therefore the differences between the two would make a list longer than my arm. I think that what Brutus is trying to point out here is really very simple. The “local” English language newspaper stopped being relevant – locally – many years ago. Maybe it had to do with absentee ownership. Maybe it had to do with the physical size of the rag itself. Maybe it had to do with the fact that our local population is Spanish speaking. Maybe it had to do with the fact that the majority of our local population is poorly educated. I could go on. But, the ultimate point is that few of us bother with the only English language daily print offering around here because it just lost touch with us.

• You are correct – apples and oranges. The argument should be about the messaging, not the delivery mechanism. That is a different and more cogent discussion.

I recently sold my collection of over 1000 vinyl LPs and hundreds of cassettes. Spotify, Pandora and iHeart radio make music more accessible. It is no less relevant. Music still moves my soul!

Brutus, and (most) of his readers, are smart enough to recognize that relevancy is better measured in terms of not only does your message reach your targeted audience, but are you able to influence them in an impactful way.

So perhaps the question should be, “Does the El Paso Times still move your soul?”

• M.T. Cicero says:

No hard copy, no advertisers to whom we are beholding, even u can write an editorial and voice your opinion. The ball is in your court.

• So, again. You are saying it is the messaging and not the delivery mechanism that makes something relevant. I absolutely agree, and that was were the original post missed the mark!

• Y Que! says:

No, the mark is that the El Paso Times is merely a shadow of itself. Whether the flimsy paper version or the cheesy digital version, the EPT has seen its glory days gone by. As a point, QUICK, name a respected EPT, reporter. No? Didn’t think so.

• Maybe you should go back and carefully read the original post before you go off on your tangent. We are not talking about the same thing.

• Sad El Pasoan says:

I used to subscribe to the EPT many years ago. I have a college degree and I do not read it anymore because the “messaging” is not credible.