Our county commissioners court is scheduled to consider an economic development plan today, Monday, March 21, 2016.
Among the ideas being considered is the redevelopment of our county coliseum.
Based on events from our recent past we might see something like this being approved:
Cultural, children’s, satellite, ball park, arena, sportsplex
The plan will be to build this vitally necessary facility quickly. Because our elected officials feel that they are better qualified than us “crazies” the project will be handled with absolutely no public input and all records and correspondence related to the project will instantly eviscerated.
We will probably be told that:
- They need to do this immediately because a regional roller derby team franchise is available and some other city like Van Horn will snap it away from us if we hesitate.
- It can’t be built on the existing coliseum site. Instead the only practical solution is to drain Ascarate lake and use that land for the new facility. Ascarate lake can easily be moved to where the old coliseum was.
- The facility will not cost local taxpayers anything. Roller derby fans from around the world will voluntarily pay high ticket prices to fund the project.
- The facility will have no operating costs since with a seating capacity of 12 seats several charitable foundations will do the work.
- The new facility will actually save taxpayers $17 million each and every year because of reduced trips to the emergency room.
- Roller skaters deserve a cultural facility.
- We need to do this for the children because there is no place for them to go for entertainment.
- The county’s inability to finish the sportsplex is not indicative of what will happen here. This project will be handled differently.
- Traffic control, security, and sanitation responsibilities will be foisted on the city. They have plenty of money.
Help us help you
There will be a small technicality in that the voters will have to approve the project in a special election. Plenty of false flyers will be distributed to help alleviate our concerns.
Citizens should not be worried about the original plan because it will be changed once the election has been won.
We deserve better