EPISD bonds–election signs in front of the schools

Our Texas constitution contains this statement:

[T]he Legislature shall have no power to authorize any county, city, town or other political corporation or subdivision of the State to lend its credit or to grant public money or thing of value in aid of, or to any individual, association or corporation whatsoever.

Is that land that our public schools are on a thing of value?

Has the separate organization that is promoting the bond issue paid the district for use of the land?

9 Responses to EPISD bonds–election signs in front of the schools

1. History Repeats says:

Remember that $100,000 Chief of Staff position for Deputy Superintendent Carmen Arrieta-Can-Spend-A lot? Just came out at EPISD Recent Appointments. Looks like EPISD is now a prime job seeking location for the City of El Paso!!! Veronica Campbell, Senior Purchasing Agent for the City of El Paso is now the Coordinator of the Office of the Deputy Superintendent!!! So she has a Chief of Staff now! Do these people truly think we are stupid??? Now, let’a see which City of El Paso employee is the next winner for The Price Is Right!! There is a Chief of Information position that was recently vacated coincidentally by A guy named Stiles! And a Director of Network Services!! Ok City of El Paso people…get your resumes ready!!

I went by 3 local schools and put up VOTE NO signs and they were taken down almost immediately

3. Old Gringo Guy says:

But, but, but “It’s for the children”…..

4. Martha Leon says:

As with Jana Taxpayer, calling the school — about anything — gets zero response. I called last week about school employees parking on the street in front of my house (every single day) when they have a new parking lot, nearly empty, which may be 20 feet farther away than parking in front of my house. I was overly nice, making the suggestion that in the name of safety, children could run out from behind the car. I was told, by the semi-rude person that answered the phone that I could not prevent anyone from parking on a public street. Forget safety, forget courtesy. If I wanted, I could come into the school and make a request.

I would like to suggest that in the future, the taxpayers not provide parking lots for the employees. They would rather park on the street — after all, they have the right.

5. Benevelous says:

I do not know the law (and will not pretend to). I found this pdf from the Texas Ethics Commission: https://www.ethics.state.tx.us/pamphlet/B09pad_sch.pdf

Readers should read this pamphlet from the TEC and then look at the signs and see if there is a violation.

If there is a violation found, here is the contact info for the TEC:

TDD 1-800-735-2989.
    Legal, Administrative, Executive Division FAX: 512-463-5777.
    Disclosure Filing FAX: 512-463-8808.

6. Casual Observer says:

Let’s not assume the worst. They were probably put there by overly enthusiastic, politically active first-graders.

7. Jana Taxpayer says:

I called 5 principals of elementary schools I drove by, about those signs, all 5 said “what signs?” 3 of them said they would get back with me. One said that “off the record, we were not informed that the signs where being placed on our campus, but this doesn’t surprise me, the higher ups do whatever they want including cutting teachers and delivering unwanted materials that we didn’t ask for. Principals have no input.” Our district is out of control. Yes Brutus, we deserve better!